Saviezvousque

– Increase your knowledge ! –

– The Moncton Wildcats were the first team to suffer two defeats at the hands of Drakkar ( The 26 September and 11 December 1997) …

– The Drakkar had two months during which he did not win any match ( 0-6 in March 1998 and 0-4 in September 1998) …

– 7 of the top 10 life Drakkar victories were against clubs Maritime (3 against Halifax, Moncton 2 against and 2 against Cape Breton ) . The other three were against Val-d’Or, Rouyn-Noranda and Chicoutimi …

– The first month in which the Drakkar played an average of 0.500 is February 1998. Unfortunately, they finished the season with an average of 0.243 …

– The match of Saturday, April 21, 2001 ( Centre Henry-Leonard ) between the Drakkar in Acadie-Bathurst Titan is the second-longest playoff game in the history of the QMJHL. A shorthanded goal from Yanick Lehoux Drakkar 6m37 to the third overtime ended in a match lasting 106 minutes and 37 seconds. The game ended at 0:40 . David St- Germain and Adam Russo were the guardians . Titan still eliminated the Drakkar in six games ..

– Sylvain Deschâtelets still holds the record ( since 1999-2000 ) for the most points in a game with 8 points …

– Le Drakkar five markers and 50 goals since his debut in 1997-1998. Marco Charpentier was the first to establish the brand in 1999-2000. Yanick Lehoux , Charles Linglet , Joel Perreault and Alexandre Picard-Hooper are the other …

– Marco Charpentier was the first player Drakkar get 100 points in a season (113 in 1999-2000) . Eight other players have achieved the feat since : Sylvain Deschâtelets , Yanick Lehoux , Charles Linglet , Pascal Pelletier , Olivier Proulx, Patrick Thoresen , Joel Perreault and Francois Bouchard. The year 2002-2003 was the most prolific on that side with four 100 points in the same year ( Pelletier, Proulx, Thoresen , Perreault ) …

– Olivier Proulx holds the record for the fastest round the hat : 1m54 ! Feat achieved 10 December 2002 at the 3rd period of the game against the Shawinigan Cataractes …

– The Drakkar was a perfect month (plug 1,000 ) in March 2003. Seven wins in as many games …

– Head coach Eric Dubois has made a career in the QMJHL for 5 seasons (1986-1991) with the Laval Titan . In 321 games, he accumulated a record of 48 goals , 174 aids for 222 points. He also amassed 562 minutes of penalty …

– Eric Dubois also played in the LHSPQ (semi -pro Quebec Hockey League ) with the Royals Sorel in 2002-2003. He finished the season as the sixth scorer with a record of 7 goals and 28 assists for 35 points in 50 games …

– Between 1 December 2002 and 28 February 2003 ( three months ), the Drakkar has accumulated an impressive collection of 56 points ( 26v – 6d – 2DP – 2n in 36 games ) , eight more than the total of the season 2002-2003 (25 points) and 2005-2006 (23 points) of the Rimouski Oceanic …

Source | Steeve Bruno | www.GoDrakkarGo.com

– Drakkar –

– The Viking ship is a Scandinavian boat Middle Ages, used for trade and transport soldiers …

– The Viking boat has a rudder, which is one of the characteristics of longships . The rudder was formed by a kind of short rowing wide blade attached by leather ties to starboard ( starboard comes from the Norse ” & quot ;, styr edge side of the rudder ) . It was indeed possible to meet the rapidly so that it does not scrape the bottom , the boat can go in very shallow currents due to its very low draft . The hull was made ​​of stacked panels that contributed to its flexibility and strength. Although that can be versatile, the longship has a characteristic ; the skjaldrim , a special curling which were placed shields rowers to serve as protection against projectiles …

– The name of ” longship ” which are commonly known as the Viking ships, whatsoever, is a barbarism built in the nineteenth century , inspired by the modern Swedish word & quot ; Drake ” ( dragon) – not ” dreki ” in Norse – which double ” k ” was added to accentuate the exotic appearance. But the Vikings designated their boats following form and tonnage , under the names ” knörr & quot ;, ” snekkja ” or ” & quot ;. langskip Although no Viking ship has been found with a bow dragon head , we can assume that the French use of the word to be due to a misunderstanding …

– The first signs of this boat form date from the year 1000. This form is the result of a gradual transformation of the canoe. In the fourth century , the boat is no longer a single trunk hollowed but an assemblage of pieces of wood. In the eighth century , it has a keel and can carry dozens of people , between 90 and 200 according to testimony . In the eleventh century , it has a sail. Knowledge of Viking boats comes mainly from epigraphic illustrations, runes, the Bayeux Tapestry, various sagas and archeology of shipwrecks. The discovery of a ritual is the origin of most of the current knowledge on the subject …

– The Viking people buried ( the death of a great leader ) the dignitary and his boat, then serving as burial and the whole forming a mound. It was the first time in Gokstad , near Sandefjord , where we found a perfectly preserved Viking ship . Another was found in 1933 in Äskekärrremote …

– In Boulogne , northern France, until the end of the twentieth century , professional fishermen continued to use a small Viking ship for coastal fisheries: flobart , whose hull is made ​​of planks stacked clapboard . The last , wooden , are in Audresselles and Wissant. Some fishing vessels are still made in the same way in Lofoten (Norway) or Russia …

Source | http://fr.wikipedia.org

– Snorri , la MASCOTTE –

– “Snorri” was the name the Vikings gave the first child born in the New World during their expeditions …

– Snorri Sturluson est nor the 1179 à Hvammur . Fils de Sturla Thordarson et de Guðný Böðvarsdóttir , il à la famille appartient December Sturlungar , Alora la plus influente du pays …

– Snorri n’est pas eleven par ses PARENTS corn , des l’ age de trois ans , par Jón Loftsson – est cette pratique à l’ epoque une façon de sceller une alliance ou un accordions . Jón Loftsson est l’ un December Chefs les plus puissants de l’ Île mais aussi un homme d’ une grande érudition . Snorri passe sa Jeunesse tip , qui est l’ un Alor December principaux centers intellectuels de l’ Islande . Il y découvre aussi bien que la culture chrétienne la littérature traditionnelle norroise : poèmes mythologiques et héroïques et Premiere Sagas retraçant l’ Histoire December Rois de Norvège ou les exploits de Hero vikings …

– Politician, diplomat , historian and Icelandic poet Snorri Sturluson (1179-1241) was the main writer of the Scandinavian Middle Ages. Author of numerous sagas and mythology , his work is an irreplaceable source for knowledge of Norse mythology …

– A saga ( Icelandic word ) is a literary genre developed in medieval Iceland, the twelfth and thirteenth centuries …

– Régis Boyer ( . Medieval Iceland, p 189 ) gave the following definition of the saga : ” is known saga narrative prose , always in prose, this is crucial , bringing life and the actions of a character worthy of memory for various reasons, from his birth to his death in omitting neither his ancestors nor descendants if they have any importance “. Note also that saga is extremely rarely a legend or a tale. The word comes from the verb ” segja ” ( tell , tell ) . The author of a saga, often anonymous , is a ” sagnamenn ” …

Source | http://fr.wikipedia.org

– Baie -Comeau History –

Baie-Comeau is a city of Quebec, located in the Regional Municipality of Manicouagan County and in the administrative region of the North Shore. Baie-Comeau was named in honor of Napoléon-Alexandre Comeau, geologist and naturalist of the North Shore. The approximate population of the city is 23 000, 30 000 inhabitants counting the surrounding villages.

Baie-Comeau is industrial. Aluminum is an important sector of the economy, an aluminum smelter Alcoa is installed there. Hydropower generation is important because of the Manicouagan River has 4 hydroelectric dams whose Manic 5 dam, called Daniel Johnson Dam, which is the largest multiple arch dam and foothills in the world. There is also the complex Bustard, and more recently Toulnustuc which are located on the outskirts of the city. Logging is also a major sector of the economy. The Baie-Comeau region offers many tourist attractions such as ecotourism, kayaking, hundreds of snowmobile trails, hiking, countless lakes and landscapes that take your breath away at every turn. The largest city in the Manicouagan is also a major commercial center of eastern Quebec.

Napoléon-Alexandre Comeau is a Canadian naturalist Quebec, born June 11, 1848 to Îlets-Jérémie (located in the municipality of Colombier) on the North Shore. He died in 1923 in Godbout. After a childhood in the woods and one year of formal education in Trois-Rivières, his father appointed him in 1860, at fourteen, ” guardian of Godbout & quot ;. River It will be the postman suite, telegraph, Deputy Coroner (even practicing medicine) in 1879 to become Superintendent of Fisheries for the Canadian government. From 1872, he became friends with naturalists and publishes articles in an American magazine, ” Forest and Stream ” and provides specimens of fauna and flora in Canadian and American museums. He wrote a book: ” The life and sport on the North Shore & quot ;. In Godbout, a monument was dedicated to his memory where it says ” North Humble child, he knew authoritatively read the great book of nature while serving his people and his country & quot ;. In addition, his name was given to the city of Baie-Comeau.

The Innu and Montagnais Aboriginal presence in the territory surrounding the current Baie-Comeau dates back nearly 6000 years. Vast forest area, Manicouagan is a region rich in its diverse fauna, allowing Native to prosper from hunting Swales, bear, beaver, moose and further north of Cariboux. In addition, the Manicouagan River provides an important fishing pond and English River is a salmon. Around the year 1000 (approximate date) Viking explorers interested in the North Shore and in the region of the Manicouagan River. Traces of temporary facilities are discovered near Baie-Comeau, which inspired the name of the junior hockey franchise in the city. In 1535, Jacques Cartier notes the existence of the Manicouagan River but means the country of dangerous shoals created by the river and the river Outardes being unfavorable for navigation. The only settlers interested in this region are the smuggling furs and missionaries in search of evangelization of American Indians. Not until the nineteenth century that the first permanent establishment of the Manicouagan (Godbout, 50 km east of Baie-Comeau and Pointe-aux-Outardes, 20 km west of Baie-Comeau) s’ settle.

In 1873, Jos Rouleau and a group of men go to the Manicouagan River , interested in the forestry potential of the region as part of the construction of the railway in Nova Scotia. Sawmill ” Manicouagan & amp; English Bay Export ” then born in 1898. However, by 1900 , the devil . Various forest fires ravaging the facilities and tides sometimes outweigh the timber reserves . In 1907, after several years of difficulties, the plant closes and workers leave towards Godbout. In 1920 , the remaining buildings were destroyed and in 1936, what is now called the Old Post is in ruins .

Dès 1911, le président du conseil d’administration du ChicagoTribune, Colonel Robert Rutherford McCormick, proposes the construction of a paper mill that would be the property of the newspaper first. First settling in Ontario and building on that success, McCormick promotes the foundation of several northern coastal towns including Shelter Bay in 1920 and Franquelin, Bay Cedar Dam in 1920 also. In 1922, following the difficulties of the First World War, a forestry report of the area around the Manicouagan and Outardes rivers is positive. But competitors emerge on the horizon, so the evening of 30 January 1923 McCormick signs the lease of forests in the east bank of the Manicouagan River in the amount of $ 6,000 per year. The project packs many influential people including Quebec Premier Louis-Alexandre Taschereau. The initial phase of the project involves the construction of a hydroelectric dam on the Outardes River. The first construction site will give birth to a village, Chute-aux-Outardes. This project ended in 1930. The second part touches the construction of the wharf at Anse Comeau, the site selected for the construction of future pulp and paper. This dock is also completed in 1930. However, the great economic crash of 1929 delayed the work and the establishment of other facilities. It was not until 1934 that the project back to life …

April 12, 1936, Jean-Brillant anchored in the cove Comeau . Then began the construction of the pulp and paper from the Quebec North Shore Company. The dock is completely rebuilt and the present structure is completed early this year. Company town , which will Baie-Comeau is restricted to workers. Primitive and temporary buildings are built near the plant construction site , which will give rise to future commercial artery La Salle, currently known as the Place LaSalle. Quickly, hospital, barber shop , shoe repair , cafeteria and barracks emerge. The factory and warehouse are also taking shape. December 25, 1936, the first paper roll is produced at the factory of the QNS .

Construction was honored in 1936. The situation is different in 1937 which saw the real birth and foundation of Baie-Comeau which letters patent are issued May 20 , 1937. The first real homes are built and the Arcade building, first commercial building in the city . At the end of that year, several buildings are already built on Avenue La Salle and several houses form the Champlain avenues, Laval, Hébert, Frontenac, Wolfe , Cartier, Dollard and Montcalm. In 1938, the Church of St. Andrew & amp; Saint George Anglican parsonage and the hospital Boisvert and Comeau Manoir are built. Religious life is ensured by the arrival of the Holy Cross Sisters in the early 1940s .

Throughout the 1940s , Baie-Comeau will expand . World War II will have little impact on the working lives of Baie-Comeau. However, in 1943 , we create E Company of the 2nd Battalion of the Fusiliers du Saint- Laurent in Baie- Comeau. Explosions are sometimes audible off Baie-Comeau and some escorts disappear during what will be called the ” Battle of the St. Lawrence .” In April 1943, Baie-Comeau will pay $ 305,000 to the campaign of Victory Bonds . Besides the war , a huge forest fire threatens Baie-Comeau in 1941. Fears are great, but on June 25, the fire changes direction. In September 1943 , the city is connected by road to the rest of the province. The bells of the new Sainte -Amélie Church ( Catholic ) ring the news of the end of the war and the arrival of the new bishop of the new diocese of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence , Bishop Napoléon-Alexandre Labrie .

In 1946 , Bishop Labrie seeking the ideal place to build a hospital and a seminar and a location for his bishopric . Municipal authorities and QNS offered him the Mont Sec site, but Bishop Labrie instead chose to settle near the ruins of the Old Post Office, the Amédée River. The authorities allowed him the freedom to move there , but specifying that he will have with those who follow him , sure of themselves the development of this region.

Thus, in 1949 , Bishop Labrie founded the town of Hauterive a few miles west of Baie-Comeau. This city will face a more commercial as Baie-Comeau. The Hauterive Regional Hospital (now the Baie-Comeau ) , the Seminar Highbank (now the Cégep de Baie-Comeau ) then born , followed a few years later in Saint-Jean- Eudes Cathedral all near Joliet boulevard.

In 1951, McCormick dam construction is started on the Manicouagan River near the mouth of the St. Lawrence River . This dam with much greater capacity than necessary will demonstrate the energy capacity of the region.

This huge energy capacity grows British investors to form the Canadian British Aluminium, a company focused to aluminum and starting development work of a new plant just east of the factory of the QNS . The work, initiated in 1955, allow first tanks into action in June 1958. Baie-Comeau is experiencing explosive growth.

In addition, Cargill Grain comes into play in 1959. The large cereal undertakes the construction of grain silos, thus taking advantage of the natural harbor site ‘s Cove Comeau.

The emergence of these two new companies rapidly increase the Baie-Comeau population. Neighbourhoods St. Amelia and Holy Name of Mary are expanding while a new neighborhood, the St. George, born near the new smelter.

Finally , Hydro- Québec announces new work on the Manicouagan River . The construction of hydroelectric dams Manic 2 and Manic 5 take flight in 1958.

If the years 1950 and 1960 were highly profitable in Baie- Comeau, the situation is complicated in the years 1970 and 1980. The economic recession in full swing following the various oil crises and the various Hydro-Québec projects suffer .

Seven hydroelectric dams and power plants will be built until the late 1970s in what is called the Manic-Outardes complex. Major industries complement their work new construction and renovation of old ones. Some municipal infrastructure is replaced , such as the recreation center, destroyed in 1969 and replaced in 1971. Baie-Comeau is still thriving , trade is resplendent . Not to mention the twin Hauterive situation , although less successful , is also excellent.

In 1967 , we consider the merger of the two twin cities . However , the two cities separated by just five kilometers are rivals and attitudes are opposite. Baie-Comeau is a rather industrial city , prosperous , while qu’Hauterive is a trade-oriented city and enjoying less industrial areas. The population of Baie-Comeau is against a possible merger (90 % of the population in 1976) while those Highbank favor such a measure. These differences of opinion will even change the provincial political situation in the region since the Parti Québécois of René Lévesque in power is in favor of the merger.

Monday, November 30 , 1981, Jacques Léonard, Minister of Municipal Affairs , tabled Bill 37 which forces the merger of the two cities. The mayor of Baie-Comeau, Henry Leonard, fierce opponent of the merger, announced that “war is declared! ” The Lucien Lessard MP refuses to back down and June 23, 1982 , the merger is adopted without a referendum .

This merger will result in a political struggle between the former mayor of the former Baie-Comeau, Henry Leonard and dolphin former mayor of Hauterive, Roger Theriault.

It’s finally that time that the Bay Comois Brian Mulroney was elected Prime Minister of Canada in 1984.

The late 1980s and 1990s bring a consolidation of gains no real progress for Baie- Comeau. The rivalry between the two old twin continues, but shows signs of slowing .

The paper QNS change names and owners several times , from the Quebec and Ontario Donohue then eventually be taken over by Abitibi- Consolidated. Many renovations are made.

The smelter CBA in turn will pass into the hands of the Canadian Society of Reynolds Metals and the Alcoa US . The aluminum smelter in Baie -Comeau , following expansions in the late 1980s, became one of the largest in the world .

SMEs are multiplying in the territory of Baie-Comeau. Other projects were launched: the Theater was built in the early 1990s and the Kruger moved to Ragueneau forest near Baie- Comeau. CEGEP de Baie-Comeau is renovated and the hospital.

Do not forget to mention the PCB crisis of 1989, stored north of Baie -Comeau following the great fire of St. Basil the Great, after an initiative of the government of Robert Bourassa. The storage and destruction of these hazardous wastes will last eight years and the saga will end in 1997.

Finally , the years 1980 and 1990 will see the appearance of several projects and cultural and sporting events : the Symposium of Baie-Comeau , church renovations St. Amelia, the Quebec Games , the arrival of a team of the QMJHL, the Baie-Comeau Drakkar , etc.

Like most québecoises municipalities with a primary economy based on the forest and other heavy industries, Baie-Comeau faces défits size since the late 1990s crisis in the lumber market has caused a bet feet of a temporary worker hundred in summer 2006 at Scierie Manic and moribund state of the paper medium term threat newspaper market activities of the Abitibi-Consolidated paper. In terms of Alcoa, she tried unsuccessfully in the early 2000s to sign an agreement with Hydro-Québec for a hydropower block discounts requirement according to the company to upgrade the original part the plant has completed its useful life. The declining birth rate and especially the exodus of young people to the city (Montreal) and the most urbanized centers such as Quebec are factors which themselves affect the future of the municipality and the services offered there.

Source | http://fr.wikipedia.org